Expires on: 02/25/2024
The Japan Foundation for UNU (JFUNU) Scholarship is available for outstanding applicants from developing countries who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance and who are admitted to the Master of Science in Sustainability Programme at United Nations University – Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS).
The JFUNU scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY* for living expenses for a maximum of 24 months. The tuition fees may be waived for the scholarship recipients. However, travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student.
Applicants for the Master of Science in Sustainability are required to have met the following requirements by the application deadline in order to be considered.
- A completed bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from a recognised university or institution of higher education in a field related to sustainability (those who expect to receive a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent conferred before the entrance period of September 2024 may also apply);
- A GPA of 2.8 or above on a 4.0 scale (equivalent to 70% on a 100 % scale) for the bachelor’s degree earned;
- English language proficiency. The minimum score requirements for English language qualifications required by UNU-IAS are: 600 in TOEFL – Paper-Based Testing (PBT); 100 in TOEFL – Internet-Based Testing (IBT); 7.0 in IELTS – Academic format.
The eligibility requirements for the scholarships are as follows:
- Applicants must be persons from developing countries who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance
- Applicants who are currently living in Japan under a working visa are NOT eligible for the scholarship
- Applicants who are already enrolled in other postgraduate degree programmes are not eligible. This includes those who have already obtained a master’s degree at an institution other than UNU-IAS;
- Applicants must not be recipients of other scholarships concurrently.
Your official application for admissions must be submitted through the online application form. During admission selection process, outstanding applicants from developing countries with financial need will be automatically considered as candidates for the award of the JFUNU scholarship. Thus, no separate scholarship application is necessary. Application deadline is 25 February 2024 (23:59 Japan Standard Time).
It is important to read the 2024 Application Guidelines visit the official website ( https://live-unu-edu.pantheonsite.io/sites/default/files/2024-01/UNU-IAS%20MSc%20Application%20Guidelines%202024.pdf ) to access the application form and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.